Most often good decisions and successful projects are influenced primarily by good meetings. Here are some tips on how you could facilitate a good and productive meeting:
- Do not compete with members of the group. Give the ideas of others precedence over yours.
- Listen and don't judge. Paraphrase every statements and points and listen intently.
- Do not put anyone on the defensive. Assume that everyone's ideas have value.
- Control the dominant people without alienating them.
- Realize that your interest and alertness are contagious.
- Keep all participants informed about where they are and what's expected of them. Keep notes on flip charts or a board that everyone can see.
- Check with the person who owns the problem to find out if an idea is worth pursuing of if a proposed solution is satisfactory.
- And the most important of all... Give others a turn at running the meeting. Those who learn to lead, learn how to participate.